Newbie here, need next steps: obtaining tax id#

I’ve just filed with the Sec of State as a mutual benefit nonprofit.
Do I first apply for a tax id number and THEN apply for a tax exemption? Or can I do this all at once? They don’t make it easy.
Thanks all!

1 Like

I’ve never started a 501c3, so I am going to point you to some resources. Hopefully someone from the community or another team member will jump in to help out.

Shelby and Kate have posted a general checklist of steps on our website:

In the checklist they have, file for your EIN and then for your tax exemption. I don’t think you can do that all at once.
I hope that helps!

Thanks so much, Michael. Somehow, I missed this.