Social Media, Website, & Non-Discrimination Policies

Hi, Everyone!
My board & I are in the process of updating our policies & procedures booklet.
Upon editing it for the first time, I realized that we have NO social media policy or website policy.
And worse yet, we don’t have a Non-Discrimination Policy.
Any suggestions on simple non-profit focused templates that we could use to work these policies into our booklet?
Thanks for any help!

We don’t have a social media policy. We have Standard Operating Procedures for social media. However, because of two board members who don’t like each other and said a rude comment during a board meeting, we realized we needed some policies. We also invited a Restorative Justice expert to come explain how that system works. Consequences instead of punishment works better. Here’s our Code of Conduct and Non-Harassment policies:

Non-Harassment Policy
_______ is committed to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone that participates in our organization, including Board of Directors, members and volunteers. We welcome everyone and value diversity of race, color, creed, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, and citizen, marital, or veteran status. We do not discriminate, nor tolerate discrimination or harassment, based on any of these factors.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to, offensive verbal or written comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, creed, national origin, and citizenship, marital or veteran status. It also includes deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of events or activities, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, unwarranted exclusion, and patronizing language or action.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, _______ board members may vote to take an action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender and/or exclusion from _______ events, meetings, or activities.

I have read and accept _______ Non-Harassment Policy. I understand that my violation of this policy may lead to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including probation or removal.

Signature:
Date:

Code of Conduct

Members of the Board of Directors agree to the following:
● To act in the best interests of _______ and its members
● To comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations
● To act honestly, fairly, ethically and with integrity
● To value everyone’s ideas, skills, and contributions.
● To provide a safe, respectful, and welcoming environment where all members are free to fully express their ideas and identities free from discrimination or harassment.
● To foster collaboration for the purpose of generating ideas that empower, innovate, and develop the capacity of our nonprofit community
● To conduct themselves in a professional, courteous and respectful manner
● To act in a manner to enhance and maintain the reputation of the organization
● To disclose potential conflicts of interest that they may have regarding any matters that may come before the Board, and abstain from discussion and voting on any matter, in which the director has or may have a conflict of interest
● To make available to and share with directors any information that may be appropriate to ensure proper conduct and sound operation of the organization’s governance and management
● To respect the confidentiality of information relating to the affairs of the organization acquired in the course of service, except when authorized or legally required to disclose such information
● To not use information acquired in the course of service for personal advantage
A director who has concerns regarding compliance with this Code of Conduct should raise those concerns with the Chairman of the Board and/or the Executive Board (nominating committee). Directors will annually sign a confirmation that they have read and will comply with this Code.
Board Member Certification

I have read and accept _______ Code of Conduct. I understand that my violation of the Code of Conduct may lead to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including probation or removal.

Signature:
Date:

1 Like

Great suggestion, Roberta. And thank you for the template - always very helpful to see examples.